Monday, July 20, 2009

Diligently?

If anything is noteworthy about my practice of private worship thus far this year, I believe it must be that God has sustained a desire to memorize Scripture. I've learned 26 new passages so far, ranging from single verses to a couple of chapters.

I review a few memorized passages each day to keep them in mind and I've found that this practice continues to reap more and more food for my soul.

Today the words "on your heart" and "diligently" stabbed me like a poker as I reviewed Deutoronomy 6:6-7, which says:

"And these things that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children. You shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you go along the way, when you lie down and when you rise."

Is God's word "on my heart"? If not, I need not bother with others' souls since my own is in such poor health. If God's word is on my heart it will feed my soul and enable me to feed others.

But am I teaching my children "diligently"? I am diligent about a great number of things: in sleep, in eating desserts, in reading. Does my desire to teach my children the truth of God's word burn as brightly and persistently? Do I feel the weight that they will not know God apart from His Word and I have been especially charged to reveal God to them in all His glory?

Father, may your word be on my heart more and more and may I be ever more diligent in discipling the children you have entrusted to my care!

No comments: