Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Parental Discrimination

I don't mean to sound like a "victim", but you tell me if this sounds right. Today I learned that a large adoption agency that caters to minority adoptions won't accept our portfolio because they have an "infertility requirement". Only infertile couples can adopt through them.

Don't they think there's some value in having parenting experience? Don't they realize the benefits of having older brothers and sisters?

It's not that I don't want infertile couples to adopt--I do. But shouldn't the birthmother have a say? If she looks at the different portfolios and decides to place her baby with an infertile couple, fine by me. But I got a hunch that some birhtmothers would value an adoptive family with a proven track record of good parenting.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I found your blog from Carmon's. We have a lot in common. We are in the middle of an adoption. We are also a reformed, homeschooling military family.
I am sorry that the agengy turned you down. That is disappointing. They are definitely missing out. Older siblings are the greatest. I am glad I found your blog.
Love, Heather

Tim said...

Hi Heather:

Thanks so much for commenting; and we're glad to see you have a blog. Kristin and I are curious about your adoption plans. When you get a chance could you e-mail us about what agency you're using and others you like? Our e-mail address is
timandkrisbailey(at)earthlink.net