Monday, September 15, 2003

Staying the Course (Part 1)

Defining your view of "the Good Life" reveals your values.

The typical American Christians' definition of the Good Life can be seen in how they live. Their life consists of a steadily-increasing combination of: two-incomes, one or two conveniently-timed children, school-year freedom for mom, a nicely-appointed home, sleek cars for him and her, a beach-house someday, fashionable-wardrobe, and attendance at the closest "mainstream" church with a focus on The Purpose Driven Life.

Valuing God and the advance of His kingdom more than my personal peace and affluence is not only counter-cultural, it's counter-me. I need like-minded others to help stay the course. Young children limit our personal freedom. Home-schooling tests our patience and perseverance. Our home doesn't resemble "Southern-Living". Duct tape is a critical part on my car. My clothes double as handi-wipes for little hands and mouths. Sadly, our church is 45 minutes away.

I feel the pressure to give-up on our notion of the Good Life and settle for the immediate enjoyment shared by most Christians here. But I won't. Instead I will focus on the long-term. I will think of multiple generations of ever-increasing Baileys living to advance the kingdom of God, finding their enjoyment in our God and each other. I will not trade this Good Life for the world's half-hearted flings.

No comments: