Monday, September 22, 2003

Convictions

We're now part of a truly-reformed church; well, at least the pastor is TR and he is making sweeping changes. This is driving me to sort out my reformed beliefs and practices from my "pseudo-reformed" ones.

As I do this and spend time with the TR-folks, I find one characteristic that I don't want to adopt. It seems there's a tendency to show disproportionate amounts of disgust. You're likely to get as strong of a reaction at the mention of contemporary worship music, like "Majesty", as you are if you bring up Spong's denial of the deity of Christ.

I think it's important to realize that no two people will ever have the exact same set of convictions at the exact same time. We can disagree with everybody about something. Sometimes we disagree over major issues and
that's as it should be. But we need to be gracious over littler differences. We need to decide what things are worthy of public disgust, and what things we should just keep to ourselves.

No comments: