Tuesday, April 22, 2003

There is a felt "Christian consensus" (Schaeffer's term, I think) in smalltown, Georgia. During the opening ceremonies for the base's baseball season, two prayers were shamelessly offered in Jesus' name. And when Kristin and I attended a passion play at the city civic center it was obviously a major cultural event, performed before a crowd of thousands and requiring traffic police. One humorous line--the actor Jesus proclaiming center-stage, "And if I go and prepare a place I will come back and take ya'll to be with me." (John 14:3, Southern version).

And more importantly, with the Christian consensus there does seem to be a salt-effect. The town and culture is "clean" in general and the assumption is that you go to church. It will be interesting to see the extent of the saltiness--my skeptical nature doubts that it's very deep.

No comments: