Monday, December 22, 2008

An awful subject, but necessary

I had lunch on Friday with a small group of co-workers who poke fun at all sorts of things, and this time, they made fun of religious people, especially those who believe in Hell. What I should have said to them (but didn't) was to ask for their advice. What should a person do who believes that the Bible is true in its teaching on Hell; wouldn't it be unloving not to warn someone? I'm sure many do this in unloving ways, but isn't there a right way to discuss an awful, but necessary subject?

In this video (found on many blogs), an atheist makes a similar point.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It would also be fun to hear the response to something like this:

"So, you are saying that you believe absolutely that there isn't a hell? Do you have evidence to support your claim? No, of course not. Forming any opinion on this subject is an expression of faith. Sometime, if you'd like to know why I believe there is a hell, I'll be happy to have a cup of coffee with you and tell you about the God I've come to know and why He is worthy of my trust."

or something like that...