Saturday, November 26, 2005


Happy New Year!

Am I early? Not if I'm reading my lectionary right. The first week of Advent begins tomorrow, which begins the new year on the church calendar.

This has been my second year using a lectionary based on the Book of Common Prayer from 1662 for my private Bible Study. Of course there's nothing wrong with reading the Bible from Genesis to Revelation, but when I used that approach I disliked spending all my devotion in only one book of the Bible. The lectionary approach keeps you in several books every morning and evening. For instance, here's today's reading:

Morning
Ps 124, 125
Gen 35:1-20
Matt 13:1-17

Evening
Ps 119:97-112
Isa 42:1-9
Rev 21:22-22:5

I can't find the exact one I use on-line; but here's a recommendation for trying it out.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Happy new year!

Using the Prayer Book has tremendously helped me in my private devotions. Does the 1662 book have a daily office? This one has the weekly lectionary, but not the daily office.

Tim said...

I'm not sure whether it's called a daily office, but mine does have a daily reading plan for morning and evening. I got my copy at a Reformed Episcopal church, but haven't found it on-line.