Monday, October 10, 2005

Giving You An Earful

For whatever reason, while I love reading books, I can't read them fast enough to keep up with all the topics I'm interested in covering. I should probably switch to reading more articles, an idea from Barb, but I've found that there's tons of good, free audio available now a days. I try to listen more broadly than I believe; I think it's healthy to hear different views from within the pale of orthodoxy. Here are my favorite FREE audio places in no particular order:

St Anne's Pub -- down-to-earth reformed topics, mostly cultural
9 Marks Interviews -- reformed Baptist-led interviews and speeches
Covenant Seminary Audio Library -- recordings of chapel speakers, conferences, etc
White Horse Inn-- broadly-reformed topical discussions
Issues, Etc -- Confessional Lutheran broadcasts, mostly on cultural matters
I've also downloaded several great MP3s thanks to links I find in various blogs. This is a great way to spread a good message.

For audio for a fee, I especailly like,
Mars Hill Audio Journal -- first-rate cultural commentary from a Christian perspective
WordMP3 -- MP3s of sermons and lectures, mainly from reformed pastors and theologians
I usually also order the audio for the Desiring God conferences and from other ministries such as the Basement Tapes

Any other recommendations?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I work for a company that rents and sells audio books. If you want to check it out, it's Simply Audiobooks. The rental program works like Netflix, and we do a two-week free trial so people can test it out and see if they like it. We also give free service upgrades to members who mention/link to us in their blogs (in case you're interested).

Tim said...

Thanks, Aileen, I'll check it out.

jc said...

sermonaudio.com

jc said...

some good stuff at trinityfoundation.org. Some really good stuff.

Anonymous said...

I listen to lots of sermons. Favorites include Christ Church and Eastside Evangelical Fellowship (I've especially appreciated the Psalms series and the Lord's Prayer series). And then there's the free MP3 Bible site.

~Valerie (Kyriosity)

Tim said...

Hi Valerie! It's nice to hear from you.

I enjoy listening to the Pastor Wilson's sermons and I've benefited from the Eastside Evangelical Fellowship ones too--I believe I heard about those from you; so thanks!

Audiotreasure looks like a great site; besides the free Bible on MP3 there are several free audiobooks I'd like to download. Thanks for pointing that out.