Thursday, November 27, 2003

Thanksgiving Day 2003--Missed Opportunity

This day turned out differently than expected. Due to injury and illness we spent the day at our house without enjoying the company of extended family. Since we're moving out of the area again in the summer, today was an easy opportunity for the children to spend the holiday with family.

My deeper concern is this. Do I want to be with extended family? And vice versa? Are we willing to give up our personal schedules and comforts to get together? On my side of the family there is a weakness in this area. Growing up, the Baileys were not close as an extended family. I think over my childhood and adolescence I've developed an aversion to maintaining long-distance, yet kindred, relationships. I fear the implications this may have upon my children when they're grown.

No comments: