Wednesday, October 01, 2003

Tearing Down Foundations

I can't get away from Bible-belt Christianity. Unbelievers assume that since I'm open about being a Christian that I must also be a tee-totaler prude, a fan of the 700 club, basically a close-minded fundamentalist.

On the other hand, the local Christians assume that because I'm open about being a Christian I must like "Purpose-Drive" this and that, know who's hot on the contemporary Christian music charts, be all for prayer in schools, etc.

In the South, the foundation erected on the cornerstone of Christ has neglected the Apostles and prophets and instead tacked on their own here today, gone tomorrow teachers. I can't compete with the mass of Bible-belt Christians to win the role of defining what Christianity is to the public. What's needed is a demolition crew to teardown the monstrosity that's been cobbled together.

No comments: