Friday, June 27, 2003

Doctrinal Diversity in the PCA
While talking with a new friend here, I've come to realize the vast differences that exist within the PCA. I can identify three distinct groups.

At one end of the spectrum are the "Church Growth" PCAers. To reach more people (or at least non-Presbyterians) they often do things like drop the name Presbyterian from their church name. Here you'll find the drum set and yuppie-casual attire. I was discipled within this camp and it's just recently struck me as strange that one of the 7 books in the canon for elder training was a Peter Wagner book on Church Growth.

Then there are the "traditional" PCAers. You can spot them by the hymn duets on piano and organ. Kristin was raised in this tradition and I think she's still the most comfortable here.

And then way on the other end of the spectrum are the TRs. I'm not sure if the 'T' stands for Truly or Thoroughly; it's some descriptor of that sort, describing their commitment to the Reformed faith (the 'R'). I hope to visit my first quasi-TR church this Sunday (it's rare indeed to achieve the full TR status). I'm not too familiar with all their distinctives (they are legion) but I think it's fair to say they're anti-revivalist and perhaps the most doctrinally like the Puritans of lore.

No comments: