Wednesday, April 26, 2006

A Voice in the Wilderness

As I learned from my pastor of a previous assignment, we are like Israel in the wilderness. We've been set free from Egypt (our bondage to sin), but are not yet in the Promised Land (the New Heavens and New Earth).

Will we learn from Israel's blunders? As they wandered through the wilderness their faith wavered, "Is the Lord among us or not?" In their scarcity, they failed to believe God's promises and presence. In our self-absorbed abundance, we do the same.

What I want to be for my wife, my children, my friends, is a voice in the wilderness that refreshes them with gospel promises daily. A gospel voice is crucial; as we go throughout our day a panoply of faith-killing voices all try to lull us to a nominal Christianity. We need to be reminded of what we can't see but must believe.

BTW, both of the above hyperlinked verses are from this morning's daily office.

No comments: