Saturday, February 21, 2004

Thank Who?

I'm slowly seeing that even my cubicle-dwelling job is a calling from God. If I do my work in an excellent manner, not only do I reflect God's excellencies, but I also have more and better opportunities to speak of His excellencies to others.

But here's a temptation to be aware of. More people will appreciate my work if it's done in an excellent manner and some will kindly express that appreciation to me. Especially my bosses; people that I naturally want to please. The temptation here is towards self-glory. I can simply say "Thank you", which is appropriate, but seems to give too big a share of the glory to me.

I know a fine man that, when complimented, responds with an appreciative-sounding "Praise God". This seems to come closer to the mark. Here are a couple of quotes that brought this thought to mind:

"Thou are the author and finisher of faith...every good work or thought found in me is the effect of thy power and grace"
- Valley of Vision, page 4.

"May the Word of Christ dwell richly in my heart from hour to hour,
so that all may see I triumph only through His power
"
- from a 1925 hymn by Katie B. Wilkinson (#644 in Trinity Hymnal)


No comments: